Update on Mers outbreak in South Korea

Posted: June 16, 2015 in Uncategorized

South Korean officials announced three more deaths in the country’s MERS outbreak Tuesday, raising the total death toll to 19.

image

Four new cases of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) were also announced, bringing the total number to 154 — 16 of whom are in an “unstable” condition, according to South Korea’s Ministry of Health.

The number of people under quarantine in South Korea, both in their own homes or in quarantine facilities, rose by 370 from Monday to 5,586.

The World Health Organization said Tuesday that the number of new cases “appears to be declining” — indicating that the outbreak could be slowing down.

But it also warned that “all outbreaks are unpredictable.” “This is especially true for a comparatively new disease like MERS” where many facets of the virus are not well understood, the WHO said.

Not all schools have reopened; 440 remain shut as officials seek to stop the spread of MERS.

image

The WHO had recommended re-opening institutions last week because transmission of the virus had not been linked to schools. The MERS
outbreak remains largely confined to health care settings.

image

Copied from CNN

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s